Deerfield Fire Department
The first firefighting pumper owned by the Deerfield Volunteer Fire Department. 1948 International with a 500 gallon per minute "American" front mounted pump. There was a 500 gallon water tank under the rear hose bed, 300 feet of 1 1/2 inch hose and 500 feet of 2 1/2 inch hose and a 200 foot reel of 3/4 inch rubber hose. All turnout gear was attached to the truck. Firefighters shared turnout gear so those coming to the call could meet the truck at the scene of a fire and have gear available.
The carnivals were the big fund raiser for funding the Deerfield Fire Department. The Deerfield Civic Club and latter the Fire Department, owned so much carnival equipment that other towns would rent tents and games when not in use in Deerfield.
A fire from the early days of the Deerfield Department with a mutual aid department also on the scene, most likely Atwater.
A firefighters training class in 1958. Left to right: former Fire Chief Ralph Binckley, former Assistant Chief Walter Gantz, Firefighter Larry Legros, firefighter Howard Brown, and the un-known instructer.
1969 Chevy pumper. Just arrived with 750 GPM pump, 1000 gallon tank, 600 feet 1 1/2, 1000 feet 2 1/2, 2 booster hose reels with 300 feet each. Left to right: Then Chief Ralph Binckley, Captain Ronald Hughes, Lieutenant Robert "Buck" Crowder, Asstant Chief Walter Gantz, Twp. Trustee Clyde Ingeldo, Firefighter and Trustee Howard Brown. The photo was taken in front of the Sebring Fire Department. Deerfield took the truck to a Sebring firefighter breakfast to show.
Back to History Index
to Deerfield Fire Department HomePage